[jboss-user] NoClassDefFoundError when class is in JBoss AS7 WAR WEB-INF/classes folder

qt4x11 qt4x11 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 16:35:59 EDT 2011

I'm using JBoss AS7.  I get a ClassNotFoundException when attempting to
deploy my app - looks like it's not finding JMSException

    09:54:53,166 ERROR [org.jboss.msc.service.fail] (MSC service thread 1-7)
MSC00001: Failed to start service
jboss.deployment.unit."myapp-maventest.war".INSTALL:
org.jboss.msc.service.StartException in service
jboss.deployment.unit."myapp-maventest.war".INSTALL: Failed to process phase
INSTALL of deployment "myapp-maventest.war"

        at
org.jboss.as.server.deployment.DeploymentUnitPhaseService.start(DeploymentUnitPhaseService.java:121)

        at
org.jboss.msc.service.ServiceControllerImpl$StartTask.run(ServiceControllerImpl.java:1765)

        at
org.jboss.msc.service.ServiceControllerImpl$ClearTCCLTask.run(ServiceControllerImpl.java:2291)

        at
[:1.6.0_26]

        at
[:1.6.0_26]

        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:680) [:1.6.0_26]

    Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Error getting reflective
information for class com.mycompany.myapp.common.jms.servlets.StationLogout

        at
org.jboss.as.server.deployment.reflect.DeploymentReflectionIndex.getClassIndex(DeploymentReflectionIndex.java:70)

        at
org.jboss.as.ee.component.EEModuleClassDescription$DefaultConfigurator.configure(EEModuleClassDescription.java:144)

        at
org.jboss.as.ee.component.EEClassConfigurationProcessor.deploy(EEClassConfigurationProcessor.java:100)

        at
org.jboss.as.server.deployment.DeploymentUnitPhaseService.start(DeploymentUnitPhaseService.java:115)

        ... 5 more

    Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: JMSException

        at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredMethods0(Native Method) [:1.6.0_26]

        at java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredMethods(Class.java:2427)
[:1.6.0_26]

        at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredMethods(Class.java:1791) [:1.6.0_26]

        at
org.jboss.as.server.deployment.reflect.ClassReflectionIndex.<init>(ClassReflectionIndex.java:65)

        at
org.jboss.as.server.deployment.reflect.DeploymentReflectionIndex.getClassIndex(DeploymentReflectionIndex.java:66)

        ... 8 more

    Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: JMSException from [Module
"deployment.myapp-maventest.war:main" from Service Module Loader]

        at
org.jboss.modules.ModuleClassLoader.findClass(ModuleClassLoader.java:191)

        at
org.jboss.modules.ConcurrentClassLoader.performLoadClassChecked(ConcurrentClassLoader.java:358)

        at
org.jboss.modules.ConcurrentClassLoader.performLoadClassChecked(ConcurrentClassLoader.java:330)

        at
org.jboss.modules.ConcurrentClassLoader.performLoadClass(ConcurrentClassLoader.java:307)

        at org.jboss.modules.Conc

 JMSException.class is not in /jboss home/modules/javax/jms .  I have this
class in a jar file - javaee-api-6.0.jar .   I copied this jar file to /my
app/src/main/webapp/WEB-INF/lib , but I'm still receiving this
ClassNotFoundException.

I need help debugging.  One thing I tried - I thought maybe the /jboss
home/modules/javax module JBoss was loading was conflicting with my
javaee-api-6.0.jar file - so I tried to exclude it with a
src/main/webapp/WEB-INF/jboss-deployment-structure.xml file

    <jboss-deployment-structure>

      <deployment>

        <exclusions>

            <module name="javax.jms" />

        </exclusions>

      </deployment>

    </jboss-deployment-structure>

but I still get the same NoClassDefFoundError.  Any advice on how to fix?