[jboss-user] [Beginner's Corner] - Re: JBoss AS6: get rid off HornetQ and reuse JBossMQ

jaikiran pai do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Feb 18 01:48:22 EST 2011

jaikiran pai [http://community.jboss.org/people/jaikiran] created the discussion

"Re: JBoss AS6: get rid off HornetQ and reuse JBossMQ"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/588236#588236

> Thomas Nagel wrote:
>
> Hello,
> thanks for your answer...
> JBossMQ or JBoss Messaging - thats a good question. These names have been used interchangeably in the documentation, at least for a mere user of the system.
JBoss MQ is a very old messaging implementation which was used in JBoss AS 4.0.x days (I think till JBoss AS 4.2.2). Then came JBoss Messaging which was a new implementation and was used in JBoss AS 5.x. And recently, JBoss Messaging has been replaced by HornetQ in JBoss AS6.

> Thomas Nagel wrote:
>
>  Well, technically there is surely a way to use HornetQ with MDBs, but the docu doesn't tell what to do to replace the JBoss 4 config, so upto now we don't know how to configure HornetQ. The two documents that were supplied couldn't help us to get a working configuration. So we can't use it  and so we thought of downgrading to the predecessor.

I'm not sure which part of the configurations are you having problems with. The MDB configurations are going to remain the same irrespective of whether it's a HornetQ or JBoss Messaging. The configurations that'll change are the queue/topic setup ones. Is that what you are having problems with?

> Thomas Nagel wrote:
>
>  We use the message beans internally and SQL-based, and there is no hint as to how to configure such a situation. Maybe HornetQ wasn't designed for such "trivial" messages.

HornetQ (unlike JBoss MQ and JBoss Messaging) doesn't use database to store the messages. It has its own custom "journal" for persistence. What exactly were the SQLs that you were using with JBoss Messaging?