[jboss-user] [Beginner's Corner] - Re: JBoss AS6: get rid off HornetQ and reuse JBossMQ

Thomas Nagel do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Feb 18 03:56:20 EST 2011

Thomas Nagel [http://community.jboss.org/people/ktnagel] created the discussion

"Re: JBoss AS6: get rid off HornetQ and reuse JBossMQ"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/588265#588265

Hello Jaikiran,

thanks for your time and effort. But honestly, I still don't know what is the best way and the least work to get our MDBs running again.
We used MDBs to communicate asynchronously between session beans, to schedule tasks.
If i understood it right then the HornetQ service grew way beyond the simple messaging between sessions in the same EAR on the same server. So it can serve purposes that go far beyond our demands. Enhancing a service is a good thing of course. It made confuiguration a bit more difficult, perhaps inevitably. And maybe the excitement of being able to fulfil so many difficult and important tasks lead the authors of the documentation to keeping the explanations of such simple tasks as ours a bit short and hard to grasp.
I've looked over the HornetQ user manual chapters 32 ff, and haven't understood it all. The sheer volume of the book takes time, and I'm still unsure whether it will be possible to do what we need with it.

So it's not out of the fun of being subversive that i asked about downgrading back to the former messaging system. I hoped it could be easy to use it as it was, but your view made it sound rather try-the-next-error, rather hard to tell whether it will work at all.
Maybe we will remove MDBs from the app for this reason. They are not vital for the app. If ever we have time to advance our session beans to ejb3 we could also use asynchronous session bean calls instead. In other projects i've also put tasks to do later in a database table, thats much easier to handle, and has the built-in advantages of a transactional persistence.

Regards from Germany,
Thomas Nagel