[jboss-user] [jBPM] - jBPM or Drools Flow

fero kocun do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Feb 18 10:39:31 EST 2011

fero kocun [http://community.jboss.org/people/frantisek.kocun%40gmail.com] created the discussion

"jBPM or Drools Flow"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/588381#588381

Hello,
should I use jBPM 5 or Drools Flow?

I'm using jBPM 4 now, but just the PVM with my own language. We implemented such thing as multiinstance tasks or signal catch and trow events, conditional events, boundary events (actually most use of them is on the boundary).

I tried Drools Flow and really liked it more, because of integration with Drool. One can not just invoke rule engine from process engine but also the rules can control process, which is absolutelly cool. It also supports events which we coded in our own language.

Why I decided in that time to use jBPM? Because it was more extendable. One can also make new flow elements such as event split, multi instance or inclusive choice. It was thanks to tokens. In Drools Flow one can create just implementation of a single task - e.g. task for sending email, task for invoking webservices.. but not new type of flow element such as event, gateways..

So what to use now? Is jBPM still based on tokens? Maybe if you have all the elements I need (all of them are based upon BPMN) I have no need to extend it..

Thanks

Fero