[jboss-user] [Beginner's Corner] - Hot deploying to a local jBoss

Kevin Sheedy do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Jan 4 07:46:30 EST 2011

Kevin Sheedy [http://community.jboss.org/people/kevinsheedy] created the discussion

"Hot deploying to a local jBoss"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/578658#578658

Hi
I'm new to jBoss. I want to know the best approach for deploying code to a local jBoss while doing day to day development. ie change 1 jsp file, test it in my browser. Change a line of java, deploy, test. Repeat ad lib.

At the moment, the team's approach is to change one line, compile the whole project, build a full war and copy it into the deploy folder to be picked up by the hot deploy scanner. This is really slow.

What approach have people taken to deploying java code? Multiple smaller wars? Jars? Deploying the changed .class files?

Anyone know how to make jBoss read jsp files straight out of a source controlled folder?
(I got it to read js & css straight out of source control by changing the server.xml, Host -> Context -> docBase="C:/dev/web")

Thanks
Hi
I'm new to jBoss. I want to know the best approach for deploying code to a local jBoss while doing day to day development. ie change 1 jsp file, test it in my browser. Change a line of java, deploy, test. Repeat ad lib.

At the moment, the team's approach is to change one line, compile the *whole project*, build a huge war and copy it into the deploy folder to be picked up by the hot deploy scanner. This is really slow.

What approach have people taken to deploying java code? Multiple smaller wars? Jars? Deploying the changed .class files?

Also, I want to make jBoss read jsp files straight out of a source controlled folder? (so that I can just change a jsp file and refresh my browser without having to explicitly deploy the jsp. I got jBoss to read js & css straight out of source control by changing server.xml -> Host -> Context -> docBase="C:/dev/web")

Thanks