[jboss-user] [JBoss Tools] - Some Experiences with JBoss Tools, Eclipse Helios and M2E

Thomas Kriechbaum do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Jan 12 05:35:02 EST 2011

Thomas Kriechbaum [http://community.jboss.org/people/Thomas.Kriechbaum] created the discussion

"Some Experiences with JBoss Tools, Eclipse Helios and M2E"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/580245#580245

Hello,

what are your experiences with JBoss Tools (1.1.0..-Beta2 maven-feature, 2.2.0..-beta2 as-feature), Eclipse Helios (3.6.1), JBoss AS 6 Final and M2Eclipse (0.10.2, 0.11.1 wtp-feature)?

At the moment, I'm facing the following problems:
* context root of web-module
* republish after changes
* module name is part of global JNDI name

For testing purposes I have created some maven modules with m2e.

business (root module)
+ business-ear (application.xml is generated)
+ business-core (ejb module containing the EJB implementation)
+ business-services (ejb client view)
+ business-ws (web module containing a WS that references the local EJB)

ticket (root module)
+ ticket-ear (application.xml is generated)
+ ticket-core (ejb module containing the EJB implementation)
+ ticket-services (ejb client view)

*context root of the web-module*
Although business-ear/pom.xml contains a specific context-root, the web-module is only accessible under module-name-version (e.g. business-ws-1.0.0)

 <plugin>
  <artifactId>maven-ear-plugin</artifactId>
  <version>2.4.1</version>
  <configuration>
      <version>5</version>
      <generateApplicationXml>true</generateApplicationXml>
       <modules>
         <ejbModule>
             <groupId>org.foo</groupId>
               <artifactId>business-core</artifactId>
          </ejbModule>
          <webModule>
               <groupId>org.foo</groupId>
               <artifactId>business-ws</artifactId>
               <contextRoot>business-services_v1_0</contextRoot>
           </webModule>
       </modules>
  </configuration>
</plugin>

Do I have to provide some specific settings/configuration in this case?

*republish after changes*
The republishing of JEE modules (e.g. WS-Implementation within the web-module) works only, if I perform a "project > clean" on all maven modules. In this case, all maven modules get redeployed correctly. Otherwise, the server state shortly changes to "republish", but the server does not reload the components (=> service behaviour does not change!).

 Do I have to change any Eclipse settings to avoid "project > clean" after any changes?

*module name is part of global JNDI name*
AFAIK, the EAR name is part of the EJBs global JNDI name.

For example:
TicketService - EJB3.x Default Remote Business Interface
ticket-ear/TicketServiceBean/remote-at.logis.was.ticket.TicketService - EJB3.x Remote Business Interface

 This global name is used to reference this EJB via injection
@EJB(mappedName="ticket-ear/TicketServiceBean")
private TicketService ticketService;

Within Eclipse, the module's version number is not recognized. But when building the components at command line, the version number is added to the EAR by default (e.g. ticket-ear-1.0.0). Therefore, the mapped-name has to be changed to “ticket-ear-1.0.0/TicketServiceBean” before. From my point of view, it is good to have version numbers to support parallel installation of different versions. But how can I tell Eclipse/M2E/... to use version numbers within my workspace as well?

Thanks,
Thomas