[jboss-user] [jBPM] - Tasks Assigned to Groups Not Found

James Williams do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Jul 13 09:30:15 EDT 2011

James Williams [http://community.jboss.org/people/williajd] created the discussion

"Tasks Assigned to Groups Not Found"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/614902#614902

Hi,

I'm using JBPM 5.1 Final and have spent a couple of hours learning how tasks are returned from the TaskService. I believe I have found a bug in the way tasks are returned when they are not assigned to a particular user.

I have 2 simple processes that I'm using to test my code. I'm making sure I can create a process and then return the first tasks from them.

The first one SimpleHumanTaskProcess has a single task with the owner id set to "testUser". When I create the process I can use the TaskClient.getTasksOwned method to return the created tasks as expected. When I look in the database the tasks are there and have owner and creator set to "testUser".

The second process is called SimpleGroupTaskProcess and has a single Human Task that has groupId = "testGroup". The process is created properly and I am able to examine the database and noticed that the task owner and creator are not set. The potential owner DOES include the "testGroup" so I would expect it to be found. Howevewr it is not retrieved when using the TaskClient.getTasksAssignedAsPotentialOwner passing in the user "testUser" and group "testGroup".

After some digging I think I have found the problem. The key is that the creator and owner is not set on the task. I found the underlying named query called "TasksAssignedAsPotentialOwnerWithGroups" in the orm.xml file. The query was not taking into account the null creator and owner so was only returning the tasks belonging to the "testUser" but not the group assignment.

|| *Old
* || *New
* ||
| select
     new org.jbpm.task.query.TaskSummary(
     t.id,
     t.taskData.processInstanceId,
     name.text,
     subject.text,
     description.text,
     t.taskData.status,
     t.priority,
     t.taskData.skipable,
     t.taskData.actualOwner,
     t.taskData.createdBy,
     t.taskData.createdOn,
     t.taskData.activationTime,
     t.taskData.expirationTime)
from
    Task t
    left join t.taskData.createdBy
    left join t.taskData.actualOwner
    left join t.subjects as subject
    left join t.descriptions as description
    left join t.names as name,
    OrganizationalEntity potentialOwners
where
    ( potentialOwners.id = :userId or potentialOwners.id in (:groupIds) ) and
    potentialOwners in elements ( t.peopleAssignments.potentialOwners )  and
    (
    name.language = :language
    or t.names.size = 0
    ) and
    (
    subject.language = :language
    or t.subjects.size = 0
    ) and
    (
    description.language = :language
    or t.descriptions.size = 0
    ) and
    t.taskData.status in ('Created', 'Ready', 'Reserved', 'InProgress', 'Suspended') and
    t.taskData.expirationTime is nul | select
     new org.jbpm.task.query.TaskSummary(
     t.id,
     t.taskData.processInstanceId,
     name.text,
     subject.text,
     description.text,
     t.taskData.status,
     t.priority,
     t.taskData.skipable,
     owner,
     creator,
     t.taskData.createdOn,
     t.taskData.activationTime,
     t.taskData.expirationTime)
from
    Task t
    left join t.taskData.createdBy as creator
    left join t.taskData.actualOwner as owner
    left join t.subjects as subject
    left join t.descriptions as description
    left join t.names as name,
    OrganizationalEntity potentialOwners
where
    ( potentialOwners.id = :userId or potentialOwners.id in (:groupIds) ) and
    potentialOwners in elements ( t.peopleAssignments.potentialOwners )  and
    (
    name.language = :language
    or t.names.size = 0
    ) and
    (
    subject.language = :language
    or t.subjects.size = 0
    ) and
    (
    description.language = :language
    or t.descriptions.size = 0
    ) and
    t.taskData.status in ('Created', 'Ready', 'Reserved', 'InProgress', 'Suspended') and
    t.taskData.expirationTime is null |
This appears to work.

I do have a couple of questions though. Should tasks be created in the database without having at least a creator id? Is this expected behaviour for tasks assigned to groups?

I have attached my processes, just in case there is something I've done wrong that someone can help me with.

Thanks

James