[jboss-user] [jBPM] - Model Validation and used Metrics in jBPM?

Ron Has do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu May 12 05:06:52 EDT 2011

Ron Has [http://community.jboss.org/people/pushreply] created the discussion

"Model Validation and used Metrics in jBPM?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/604899#604899

Hello,

I am doing a research for my thesis about metrics in Process Modelers.
As we know, this metrics are used to measure the quality of a business process model.

A paper by Volker Gruhn and Ralf Laue from University of Leipzig, Germany explains the corresponding metric for BPM.
Here is a short explanation about it:
* LOC (code, software complexity metric) ~ number of activities (BPM)
* cyclomatic number (software complexity metric) ~ Control Flow Complexity by Cardoso (BPM): measures the number of possible control flow decisions,
* Max / Mean. nested depth: provides information about structure,
* knot count (software complexity metric) ~ number of handles: measure of "well-structuredness"
* cognitive weight (software complexity metric) ~ cognitive weight tailored for BPM: measures the cognitive effort to understand a model, indicates redesign possibilities
* (Anti) Patterns (software complexity metric) ~ (Anti) Paterns for BPM: can help to detect poor modeling
* Fan-in / Fan-out : can indicate poor modularization.

My questions are:
1. How jBPM validate a model?
2. What or which metric(s) used in jBPM corresponds (or not) to those metrics above ?

Thank You.