[jboss-user] [jBPM] - Re: Dynamic parallel executions

byungwoojun do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri May 13 13:25:59 EDT 2011

byungwoojun [http://community.jboss.org/people/byungwoojun] created the discussion

"Re: Dynamic parallel executions"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/605229#605229

Using the XOR converge gateway was a clever way to test the thread behavior. I'd like try it myself.

If there is no way to execute the parallel gateway concurrently in jBPM, I am wondering how it solves a busienss case as follows:

I had a business case...some tasks (let's say searching for some in various ways and from multiple applications) need be triggered concurrently. And, if one of the parellel paths hits some exceptions (or some other business conditions) whichever comes first, stop all the running parallel processing and move to the next steps in the process flow.

I solved the use case using BPEL with BPMN 1.x facade from a commerical product before, where the parallel gateway processes were handled concurrently.

e.g., I defined a sub-process. In there, I defined an event (e.g., error or else) node on each parallel path, and it was linked (promoted) the event to a sub-process level event which is attached to the subprocess boarder. The outer event handled cleanup and move to the next node/subprocess.

I am not sure if I explained the case efficiently or not... Anyway...

I think the above business case in jBPM could be very inefficient. Also, I think the sequencing behavior is because a jBPM porcess uses a process caller thread.

Thanks for sharing your insight!
bwj