[jboss-user] Extending web application's classpath

Adrie de Heer adrie.deheer at gmail.com
Mon May 16 04:43:10 EDT 2011

Hi all,

When trying to migrate our web application which currently runs on Apache
Geronimo to JBoss 6.0.0.Final I came across the following.

Is there a way to add a custom directory to the web application's classpath
without changing the server configuration manually. In our situation we have
multiple web applications deployed to one server each having their own
properties file and other configuration stuff (for some reason this data is
put outside the ear). In the application I want to read these files in an
application independent manner, i.e. without the need to know the webapp's
name. On Geronimo we use the 'classesDirs' property of the SharedLib gbean
in geronimo-application.xml to extend the application's classpath with the
specific webapp's configuration directory.

On JBoss I was thinking about the following configuration. Let's say I have
webapp1 and webapp2 each using a separate config.properties file. I can put
these files e.g. in the JBoss conf directory as follows:
$JBOSS_HOME/server/<server-name>/conf/webapp1/config.properties
$JBOSS_HOME/server/<server-name>/conf/webapp2/config.properties
If I could add the  $JBOSS_HOME/server/<server-name>/conf/<webapp> directory
to the application's classpath the properties file can be read by calling
getResourceAsStream("/config.properties").
Is there a proper way to achieve this?

I know the $JBOSS_HOME/server/<server-name>/conf directory is on the
classpath by default so I can read the properties using
getResourceAsStream("/<webapp>/config.properties")
but that's not what I want.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Adrie