[jboss-user] [jBPM] - How to get active processes via ksession.getProcessInstances()

Ryan Peterson do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Oct 7 13:05:19 EDT 2011

Ryan Peterson [http://community.jboss.org/people/rrpeterson] created the discussion

"How to get active processes via ksession.getProcessInstances()"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/630659#630659

Hey guys,

I'm using a single StatefulKnowledgeSession to manage my processes.  Each processInstance is mapped to a userId, which is stored in the params map as a process variable upon the start of the process:

ksession.startProcess(processId, params)

Later I'd like to check if a specific userId exists in the workflow engine, which I was hoping to check all the active processInstances and search for the userId within their processVariables.

Unfortunately when I use ksession.getProcessInstances() I get 0 results.  Is there a way to do a "deep" search to find the active processes?  I am persisting the processes and StatefulKnowledgeSession, but I have not called .dispose() and am still in the same jvm instance (haven't restored the ksession from the database).

Is there a better way to find if a user is already in a workflow based on process variables?

Thanks for any help!