[jboss-user] [JBoss Web Services] - Patterns for modelling void return operations in WSDL?

Marko Asplund do-not-reply at jboss.com
Mon Sep 5 11:25:31 EDT 2011

Marko Asplund [http://community.jboss.org/people/aspa] created the discussion

"Patterns for modelling void return operations in WSDL?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/624816#624816

Hi,

I'm designing a web service interface (WSDL 1.1 / SOAP 1.1) that will include operations that I'd like to model similar to void returning methods in Java like this:

void doFoo(...) throws MyContingencyException;

That is, while there's no return value, i'd like to be able to deliver service specific faults to the consumer.

Apparently, you can't return faults with one-way MEPs, so it would need to be request-response MEP.

What kinds of patterns are you using for modeling these kinds of operations in WSDL?

Do you just define a simple status code value (xsd:byte, xsd:boolean or xsd:string)?
Or define a custom "VoidType" complexType with no content?

Any other approaches?

[http://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2044]