[jboss-user] [Performance Tuning] - Re: FullGC at start-up even before application deployment?

Peter Johnson do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Sep 21 12:39:34 EDT 2011

Peter Johnson [http://community.jboss.org/people/peterj] created the discussion

"Re: FullGC at start-up even before application deployment?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/627849#627849

The call to System.gc() is coded into the app server (or into one of the libraries it uses - I know the the RMI libraries like to make GC calls), I suspect as it transitions from bootstrap to the app server itself. I think it might also perform another GC or two after deployment or other major initialization activity. I think the idea behind this was to have the heap as clean of junk as possible before handling user requests. Of course, that made sense years ago when when servers didn't have that much memory and heaps were smaller. I have seen this behavior in JBoss AS release from 4.0.x up through 5.x (haven't monitored GC behavior on 6). I don't know if AS 7 stil lexhibits this behavior.

Start a new discussion in Performance Tuning at Community
[http://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2078]