[jboss-user] [Beginner's Corner] - Migrating Applications from Tomcat 6 to Jboss AS 5.1

Bruce Klein do-not-reply at jboss.com
Mon Sep 26 14:51:23 EDT 2011

Bruce Klein [http://community.jboss.org/people/bklein33] created the discussion

"Migrating Applications from Tomcat 6 to Jboss AS 5.1"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/628617#628617

Hi,
  I have been assigned the task of migrating some applications that have been successfully running in Tomcat 6 to run inside the Jboss AS 5.1 container. I have had some success but I am not sure if I am going about it in the right way. The first challenge was with the classloaders which I was able to solve using the jboss-classloading.xml file in my application's war file under the WEB_INF dir. The contents of this file is discussed in the article by Joel Tosi(4/4/2011) entitled "Classloaders and You" which I have attached. The next challenge has been updating the tag library definitions. I keep running into errors like this:

ERROR [ https://clairmail.jira.com/wiki/display/REG/cmmobile cmmobile] Servlet.service() for servlet cmmobile threw exception
org.apache.jasper.JasperException: The absolute uri:  http://tiles.apache.org/tags-tiles http://tiles.apache.org/tags-tiles cannot be resolved in either web.xml or the jar files deployed with this application.

I was albe to resolve this for the jstl libs by includign this in my web.xml file:

<taglib>
       <taglib-uri> http://java.sun.com/jstl/core http://java.sun.com/jstl/core</taglib-uri>
       <taglib-location>/WEB-INF/tld/c.tld</taglib-location>
    </taglib>

and by downloading a c.tld file. None of this was neccessary for the the application to run under Tomcat 6. I am now running into the error described above. I manually changed web.xml to refrerence   http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee/web-app_2_5.xsd http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee/web-app_2_5.xsd where in the previous Tomcat version it was pointing to   http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee/web-app_2_4.xsd http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee/web-app_2_4.xsd. Similarly I manually changed the references in the tld files to " http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee web-jsptaglibrary_2_1.xsd from  " http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee web-jsptaglibrary_2_0.xsd.
Jboss seemed to complain about any references to j2ee.

So that leads me to my question of should I have to be manually edittting these references?

How can I resolve the above issue?

All neccessary .jar files are present in the WEB-INF/lib dir however Jboss seems to ignore them in some cases.

Any help in moving this forward would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Bruce Klein