[jboss-user] [jBPM] - Problem with insertion of process instance into a knowledge session

Miljenko Norsic do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Sep 30 12:13:08 EDT 2011

Miljenko Norsic [http://community.jboss.org/people/mnorsic] created the discussion

"Problem with insertion of process instance into a knowledge session"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/629611#629611

Hi all,

I have a small test process that uses persistency to store process and knowledge session data into a database.As part of my process workflow I have a Rule Task that pulls WorkflowProcessInstance from a knowledge session, and therefore I have to insert process instance into a ksession, as shown on picture:

 http://community.jboss.org/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-629611-17071/sample.png  http://community.jboss.org/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-629611-17071/450-276/sample.png

Upon signalEvent(), process continues, calls rule task and runs to completion, and there is nothing wrong with that.

The problem is that my rule does not run:

rule "Test WorkflowProcessInstance existence" ruleflow-group "test"
    when
        $p : WorkflowProcessInstance()
    then
        System.out.println("Process instance exists!");
end

It is obvious that I'm missing WorkflowProcessInstance in a knowledge session, and therefore I've added it.
But now I'm getting the following exception upon calling UserTransaction.commit() method:
java.io.NotSerializableException: org.jbpm.workflow.instance.impl.WorkflowProcessInstanceImpl$1
 at java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeObject0(ObjectOutputStream.java:1164)
 at java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeObject(ObjectOutputStream.java:330)

It seems to me it is a bug in jBPM5.1, could someone please check it?
If this is a bug, I can create a Jira issue, but since I'm a jBPM greenhorn, I'd rather like to check on forum first because maybe I'm missing something obvious  ;)

I'm attaching a sample Eclipse project with both persistent and non-persistent scenario.

Thanks,
Miljenko