[jboss-user] [jBPM] - Re: Drools Spring Integration, errors in DroolsSpringTransactionManager

John Bize do-not-reply at jboss.com
Sun Aug 5 08:53:06 EDT 2012

John Bize [https://community.jboss.org/people/jbize] created the discussion

"Re: Drools Spring Integration, errors in DroolsSpringTransactionManager"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/752076#752076

I guess it's too late to add more tags.  Is there a policy here on cross-posting?  Hopefully, following your suggestion the devs will see this.

After I added the changes, I still get the IllegalStateExceptions wrapped in RuntimeExceptions, I didn't do anything to change that, but I'm returning the STATUS_UNKNOWN instead of propogating it.  The problem is intermittent, and I can only reproduce it by excercising my process repeatedly.  If there's any good news, it's that with the above changes, my application seems to be working, sucessfulling updating processes, tasks, and application data.  Without the changes, some processes just end prematurely.  I use Spring @Transactional classes in the service and UI layers; perhaps there's a race condition, or perhaps I'm not configuring things correctly. Whatever the cause, I'm not reliably able to reproduce the problem.  It most often happens calling the complete() method of LocalTaskService, but not always; I noticed it in a EmailWorkItemHandler once.

Since I don't know how it all ties together, and the getStatus() method is public, I really don't know if returning TransactionManager.STATUS_UNKNOWN is correct behavior.  Should it be returning TransactionManager.STATUS_ACTIVE instead?  What about the RuntimeException that isn't wrapping the IllegalStateException, should it be returning some status too?

Right now I have somethig that seems to work, but that's not a satisfactory way to leave things; my customer wants a robust system.

Thanks.