[jboss-user] [JBoss Tools] - Re: JBoss tools does not put impl classes on classpath for AS7

henk de boer do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Feb 17 18:40:23 EST 2012

henk de boer [https://community.jboss.org/people/henk53] created the discussion

"Re: JBoss tools does not put impl classes on classpath for AS7"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/717613#717613

> Snjezana Peco wrote:
>
> Henk,
>
> You may want to take a look at  https://community.jboss.org/community/tools/blog/2012/01/24/jboss-source-lookup https://community.jboss.org/community/tools/blog/2012/01/24/jboss-source-lookup

Sorry for the late reply, I totally missed the previous post. Some of the things sound very good  :^0  Especially the ability to see sources for those classes/jars that the server runtime providers can't/won't/didn't include.

If you forgive me for being too critical, there are maybe two things that might be slightly improved. The first one is about this point: "set up the central JBoss Maven repository as explained in"

Personally I like to avoid Maven as much as possible. None of my projects use Maven. I either just use the Eclipse builders and/or Ant. If a tool uses Maven under the cover, then that's an implementation detail I don't mind, but if I have to explicitly install and configure Maven then that's quite another thing. Maybe it's a personal awkward thing of me, but there might be more users who don't want to be explicitly confronted with Maven (I think surveys from Eclipse and Zeroturnaround revealed only ~50 of Java developers use Maven).

Another things concerns this point "you can add a Server Runtime container to the project's classpath (optional)". To me it was not 100% clear what this meant. Isn't this already possible without JBoss Tools, or does it mean that a source container can be added to the project's classpath?

The final piece of the puzzle is opening implementation classes that aren't included by default in the server runtime using ctrl-t and actually compiling your own code against those. I know that "normally" you shouldn't do this (for portable Java EE apps), but it can be very important for bug hunting and temporary workarounds.

Anyway, I'll try the feature tomorrow. Thanks again!

[https://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2128]