[jboss-user] [JBoss Tools] - Re: How do we use JBoss Tools with the JBoss AS 7 Fedora package?

Dan Allen do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Jun 1 21:41:38 EDT 2012

Dan Allen [https://community.jboss.org/people/dan.j.allen] created the discussion

"Re: How do we use JBoss Tools with the JBoss AS 7 Fedora package?"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/739458#739458

I think I've narrowed down the issue. I don't know how to solve it yet, but I at least know the precise circumstances that cause the problem.

First, I ruled out any issue with the JBoss Tools install or a discrepancy with what the Fedora package installs by working with a zip download from jboss.org. I extracted the zip file, setup a new runtime and server, started it and successfully deployed the helloworld application. So that works as expected.

My suspicion is that the problem occurs when JBoss Tools can't write to the JBoss AS installation. To prove this, I followed these steps:

*  I changed the ownership of the entire JBoss AS installation to root (both user and group permission)
* I created a management user (admin / admin123) and verified I could use jboss-cli -c as non-root to connect to it
* I started the server as the root user
* I setup a new runtime and server for this installation, marked it as externally managed and set the management user to admin / admin123
* I configured the server to use a custom deploy folder (both deployments and tmp) that are owned by my user (i.e., not owned by root)
* I started the server in JBoss Tools, effectively connecting to the server, and verified that the deployment scanner was updated to scan the custom deploy folder
* I attempted to deploy the helloworld application by dragging the project folder to the server

Once again, the deployment failed. It created the directories in the custom deploy folder, but reported the same error as above when attempting to write the files.

My hypothesis is that the error message we are seeing is a veil. It's possible the failure is coming from an operation further up the chain. From changing the ownership of the installation to root, it's pretty clear that JBoss Tools is attempting to write something into the installation directory when it shouldn't be.

So, the problem isn't that JBoss Tools is trying to put the files in the wrong place. The problem is that it's trying to perform a write operation in the installation sometime between when it creates the directories and when it moves the files into them. It may have something to do with the manifest file, though that's just a stab in the dark.

You should be able to reproduce this on OSX since it's also a *nix operation system (though I suppose Windows also has file permission controls).

[https://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2128]