[jboss-user] [jBPM] - Multiple Threads on a Stateful Session

Richard Evans do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Jun 28 12:00:44 EDT 2012

Richard Evans [https://community.jboss.org/people/r3vans] created the discussion

"Multiple Threads on a Stateful Session"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/744840#744840

I am trying to get an multi-threaded application to run against a single kSession.
I have made every serviceTask asynchronous but I CANNOT eliminate problems that I think are related to persistence context.

Each Handler lools like this:

   executeWorkItem(WorkItem workItem, WorkItemManager manager ) {
       WorkHandlerRunner task = new WorkHanderRunner ( kSession, workItem, this)
       threadPoolTaskExecutor.execute ( task )
   }

WorkHandlerRunner run looks like this

  Constructor saves kSesssion, workItem and workItemHandler

   run() {
       WorkItemManager manager = kSession.getWorkItemManager()
       results = runInTransaction ( manager )
       manager.completeWorkItem ( workItem.getId(), results)
    }

   @Transactional
    Map<String, Object> runInTransaction ( WorkItemManager manager) {
            // the doExecute does the business work and does not call into kbpm code
            return handler.doExecuteWorkItem (workItem, manager)
     }

When run it sometimes works for a while but eventually falls over with a mixture of exceptions like

- JPAWorkItemManager.internalWorkItem ( JPAWorkItemManager.java 43 )  - NPA
- ProcessInstanceImp.getProcess ( kruntime null )

I am trying to get a better handle on what happens and when but wonder whether at this light level of reporting someone can spot the obvious mistake.

Cheers,
Richard