[jboss-user] [jBPM] - How to get data from Multiple-instance subprocess node?

Evgene Ostapenko do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Mar 22 09:01:36 EDT 2012

Evgene Ostapenko [https://community.jboss.org/people/taurus] created the discussion

"How to get data from Multiple-instance subprocess node?"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/725589#725589

I have a Multiple-instance node for which i have specified CollectionExpression and VariableName parameters:

CollectionExpression: list
VariableName: item

After starting a system creates several subproceses. Each of them can access its own element from the collection by using a variable given as VariableName. I pass an Object elements in collection and use such parameter mapping:

|| *Sub-process variable* || *Process variable* ||
| username                     | item.username |

It works. I can use "username" in the subprocess. But when i tried to return its value to the main process and set a result mapping

|| *Sub-process variable* || *Process variable* ||
| username                     | item.username |

i get the message at start of the application:

There is no ID/IDREF binding for IDREF 'item.username'.

After executing a subprocess, exception happens:

ould not find variable scope for variable item.username
when trying to complete SubProcess node Sub-Process
Continuing without setting variable.
Could not find variable scope for variable item.outcoming_doc_id
when trying to complete SubProcess node Sub-Process
Continuing without setting variable.
java.lang.NullPointerException
          at com.sample.BPMTaskHandler.executeWorkItem(BPMTaskHandler.java:32)
          at org.drools.process.instance.impl.DefaultWorkItemManager.internalExecuteWorkItem(DefaultWorkItemManager.java:70)
          at org.jbpm.workflow.instance.node.WorkItemNodeInstance.internalTrigger(WorkItemNodeInstance.java:105)
          at org.jbpm.workflow.instance.impl.NodeInstanceImpl.trigger(NodeInstanceImpl.java:122)

How can i write a working result mapping in this case?