[jboss-user] [Datasource Configuration] - JBoss 7 multiple data source declarations for multiple applications

Kelly Dolan do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed May 16 16:08:25 EDT 2012

Kelly Dolan [https://community.jboss.org/people/kdolan1] created the discussion

"JBoss 7 multiple data source declarations for multiple applications"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/736071#736071

I'm new to JBoss 7, reading its documentation and attempting to migrate a set of applications from an earlier version of JBoss.  I'm trying to confirm if a way of doing something is no longer available or if I've missed an alternative way of doing it.

In the past, data source declarations were done w/ *-ds.xml files.  Based on what I read, these are gone and one now needs to declare them in standalone.xml (or domain.xml).

In my situation, I have developed several "components" that run w/in the same JBoss instance.  Each component has its own installer.  One component is an application and this lays down an instance of JBoss.  Other components are "plug-ins" to the application component or other small applications that simply want to run w/in the same JBoss instance.  They expect JBoss to already be installed.  However, they have their own different data source.

With earlier versions of JBoss, the separate *-ds.xml files were great because each installer simply added its file.  Based on what I'm reading for JBoss 7, it seems now each installer would need to modify the existing standalone.xml file and add its data source declaration.  This makes me very nervous because it's risky...an installer could screw up the modification.  It also complicates uninstall...the file must be modified to remove the declaration vs. removing a file.

QUESTIONS: Are there alternatives?  Can JBoss be started to reference multiple standalone.xml configuration files such that each "component" has its own?  Does JBoss 7 even consider a deployment model driven by script (e.g., installer)?  Or am I stuck w/ one standalone.xml configuration file?

Thanks for any and all suggestions!
Kelly

Start a new discussion in Datasource Configuration at Community
[https://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2077]