[jboss-user] [jBPM] - Reading User Form Variables

Bhaskaran Venkataraman do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed May 30 01:54:23 EDT 2012

Bhaskaran Venkataraman [https://community.jboss.org/people/bhaskarven] created the discussion

"Reading User Form Variables"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/738639#738639

I have a question regarding the User Forn variables. I was under the impression that freemarker template (ftl)
files have to be created for user forms. But I was able to run the HelloProcess example discussed in this forum.
I believe the XML code creates the user interface form.

1. I tried to read my own ftl file by changing the TaskName property in the XML. I have the Hello.ftl deployed
    in the resources directory of the project as I have seen it in an example. But it does not display my form.
    It is still reading the hardcoded contents in the XML

|    | <dataInputAssociation> |
|      | <targetRef>_4_TaskNameInput</targetRef> |
|      | <assignment> |
|        | <from xsi:type="tFormalExpression">Hello</from> |
|        | <to xsi:type="tFormalExpression">_4_TaskNameInput</to> |
|      | </assignment> |
|    | </dataInputAssociation> |

2. I see a complete button to submit the form. But that is not harcoded anywhere in the XML. Where does it come
    from ? The XML file of the BPMN diagram is attached for your reference.

I would like to read my own ftl files rather than hardcoding the contents in the XML. In the Developers Guide I saw
an example where the ftl file is included in the XML with the following construct. But I do not have any examples
on that usage of how input/output is done through the form.

    <userTask id="requestVacation" name="Request Vacation"
      implementation="other">
     <potentialOwner resourceRef="user" jbpm:type="group">
        <resourceAssignmentExpression>
          <formalExpression>user</formalExpression>
        </resourceAssignmentExpression>
      </potentialOwner>
      <rendering id="requestForm">
        <jbpm:form>org/jbpm/examples/bpmn/usertask/taskform/request_vacation.ftl</jbpm:form>
      </rendering>
    </userTask>

Your response will be highly appreciated.