[jboss-user] [JBoss Tools] - How do we use JBoss Tools with the JBoss AS 7 Fedora package?

Dan Allen do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu May 31 04:42:56 EDT 2012

Dan Allen [https://community.jboss.org/people/dan.j.allen] created the discussion

"How do we use JBoss Tools with the JBoss AS 7 Fedora package?"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/738954#738954

As you may have heard,  https://plus.google.com/114112334290393746697/posts/9Ri8U4wuCLY JBoss AS 7 is now packaged in Fedora 17. It can be installed using the YUM package manager:

yum install jboss-as

This package not only puts JBoss AS 7 on your system, it also makes it a bonafide system service. You start the service using the service command:

service jboss-as start

The service runs as the jboss-as user. The main installation directory is /usr/share/jboss-as, though the executables are in /usr/bin and the logs in /var/log/jboss-as.

*JBoss Tools: Prerequisties*

It's necessary to create a management user in order for JBoss Tools to control the server:

/usr/share/jboss-as/bin/add-user.sh

*JBoss Tools: What works*

JBoss Tools detects the installation when the scanner is pointed at /usr/share/jboss-as and properly sets up a server runtime. (The server configuration needs to be updated to mark the server as externally managed since JBoss Tools is not privy to the startup scripts anymore, nor would the user have the proper permissions). Navigating the management interface in the Server view works as expected.

*JBoss Tools: What doesn't work*

What JBoss Tools is unable to do is deploy an application to the server (for example the numberguess quickstart). The problem is that *+JBoss Tools tries to copy files into the /usr/share/jboss-as/standalone/deployments directory+*, but doesn't have permission to write to this directory.

An obvious quickfix is to add the user to the jboss-as group and change the permission of /var/lib/jboss-as/standalone/deployments to 664 w/ the group sticky flag set (so that the file is written with the group set to jboss-as).

However, I think the way it should work is that *+JBoss Tools should deploy the application using the management interface+*. Currently, this would require deploying the application as a packaged war. *+The server runtime can be configured to deploy a packaged war, but JBoss Tools still tries to copy the archive to the deployment folder+* rather than using the management interface deployment API.

Ideally, JBoss Tools should support incremental deployment over the management interface rather than a direct file system copy. Another approach would be to tell the management interface to look in a different location for a deployment (maybe that's possible already).

Long story short, I don't see a way currently to use JBoss Tools with JBoss AS 7 installed from the RPM package because of permission issues. Changing the file permissions and elevating the permissions of the user is one workaround. Ideally, though, JBoss Tools would support this use case without requiring any special customization. It would also be nice if JBoss Tools could add a management user (replacing the call to the add-user.sh command). Finally, it would be great if JBoss Tools could start and stop the jboss-as service (through the use of sudo).

This is new territory for JBoss Tools and I'm excited to see us get to a seamless out of the box experience.

[https://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2128]