[jboss-user] [jBPM] - Re: workItemByteArray null when persisting WorkItemInfo

Timothy Charman do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Nov 7 04:16:47 EST 2012

Timothy Charman [https://community.jboss.org/people/tcharman] created the discussion

"Re: workItemByteArray null when persisting WorkItemInfo"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/775278#775278

Yes, we are on AS7 and Hibernate 4.  We followed Marco's recommendations and that seems to remove a bunch of error messages, but now we're running into a couple of oddities when debugging why it still won't work.
Our task handler is meant to be a long running process, which enters a wait state after calling externally.  I believe that the WorkItemInfo table is written prior to hitting the wait state, and on hitting the wait state the bytearray with the work item's state is persisted with an update statement.

Either we see this:
- The WorkItemInfo record is written, the byte array is not written, and on completing the task handler the JPAWorkItemManager reads state out of memory, hits the signalEvent and hangs on synchronisation.
- The WorkItemInfo record is written, the byte array is written, but on completing the task the WorkItemInfo record is already deleted, cannot be retrieved from memory or from DB, and so the process fails.

We continue to debug.