[jboss-user] [jBPM] - Re: jBPM5 - Can't Scale, Won't Scale

Herman Post do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Nov 14 11:27:19 EST 2012

Herman Post [https://community.jboss.org/people/hbpost] created the discussion

"Re: jBPM5 - Can't Scale, Won't Scale"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/776514#776514

With respect to incomplete process instances, we have one main process per kSession, and it is possible to determine if the process instance is active by call ProcessInstance.getState().  Our client applications know which sessions belong to them and interact with the session and process and tasks until the process becomes completed.

Timers seem to present challanges to scalabilty though.  For us it means we have to keep sessions with active processes in memory and manage them, and simply use the persistence mechanism for recovery from failure.  Clustering seems like alot of headache.  So what you're left with for scalabilty is some active grid solution where client requests are routed to the proper server.  I believe this is the solution Mauricio has been working on.

We too would be interested in further discussion on this.