[jboss-user] [jBPM] - Terminate end event in subprocess must not terminate parent process?

Ted Pan do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Nov 29 09:32:22 EST 2012

Ted Pan [https://community.jboss.org/people/ted.pan] created the discussion

"Terminate end event in subprocess must not terminate parent process?"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/779138#779138

hi,

from the issue
 https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBPM-3371 https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBPM-3371
it says that *Terminate end event in subprocess must not terminate parent process.*
the following is copied from the issue, in case someone could not access the issue tracker.
*    According to the spec a terminate node in the subprocess aborts the execution in the subprocess. "Then the process continues on the normal flow" out of the subprocess [Bruce Silver, BPMN Method & Style, p. 82]*
 *The spec says:*
 *Sub-process level end events*
 *For a "terminate" End Event, the Sub-Process is abnormally terminated. In case of a multi-instance Sub-Process, only the affected instance is terminated—no other ongoing Sub-Process instances or higher-level Sub-Process or Process instances are affected.*

but from document  http://docs.jboss.org/jbpm/v5.4/userguide/ch.core-basics.html#d0e1529 http://docs.jboss.org/jbpm/v5.4/userguide/ch.core-basics.html#d0e1529
*  Note that, if you use a terminating event node inside a sub-process, you are terminating the top-level process instance, not just that sub-process.*

in my case, a subprocess will signal an event to parent process, then goes to a terminating node. in parent process, there is a Catching Signal Event to catch the event, then go to other node.

when running same code in different machines,
one faster machine always works as what I want. the process go to the Catching Signal Event.

On the other slower machine, there is always an exception thrown out in the backend log
Gateway:104] -- XOR split could not find at least one valid outgoing connection for split Gateway
( the content of this exception is not important, as my understanding, the process is still going on after the subprocess).

So my question is that *which one is correct*? and why the behavior is different?

Thanks

(I'm using jPBM5.4)