[jboss-user] [jBPM] - Calling workItemManager.completeWorkItem() on a dynamicSubProcess results in NPE & root cause

Wooi Joe Chuah do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Nov 29 21:53:51 EST 2012

Wooi Joe Chuah [https://community.jboss.org/people/joe.chuah] created the discussion

"Calling workItemManager.completeWorkItem() on a dynamicSubProcess results in NPE & root cause"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/779240#779240

Hi,

I've been bugged by this stack trace for a long time now whenever a dynamicSubProcess created by the DynamicUtils is terminated.

    at org.jbpm.workflow.instance.node.SubProcessNodeInstance.handleOutMappings(SubProcessNodeInstance.java:192)
    at org.jbpm.workflow.instance.node.SubProcessNodeInstance.processInstanceCompleted(SubProcessNodeInstance.java:185)
    at org.jbpm.workflow.instance.node.SubProcessNodeInstance.signalEvent(SubProcessNodeInstance.java:173)
    at org.jbpm.workflow.instance.impl.WorkflowProcessInstanceImpl.signalEvent(WorkflowProcessInstanceImpl.java:344)
    at org.jbpm.process.instance.event.DefaultSignalManager.internalSignalEvent(DefaultSignalManager.java:81)
    at org.jbpm.process.instance.event.DefaultSignalManager$SignalAction.execute(DefaultSignalManager.java:181)
    at org.drools.common.AbstractWorkingMemory.executeQueuedActions(AbstractWorkingMemory.java:976)
    ... 96 more

After tracing the code, I've found the root cause which is located at org.jbpm.workflow.core.node.SubProcessNode
public List<DataAssociation> getOutAssociations() {
    return Collections.unmodifiableList(this.outMapping); }

the outMapping attribute of the dynamicSubProcess is null hence calling Collections.unmodifiableList(+null+) will hit a NPE.

Since SubProcessNodeInstance.java:192 (handleOutMappings) expects a Collection object to be returned, I suggest returning an empty list if the outMapping is null.

If anyone would be so helpful to implement a fix for this I'd be very greatful  :)  no more ugly stacktraces after completing the process.

Thanks