[jboss-user] [JBoss Tools] - Remote debugging via SSH?

J. Koch do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Oct 18 08:34:42 EDT 2012

J. Koch [https://community.jboss.org/people/JoPe] created the discussion

"Remote debugging via SSH?"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/766661#766661

Is there a way to debug a remote JBoss AS 7 from Eclipse / JBoss Tools via SSH?

I'm developing locally in Eclipse and testing on a local JBoss AS 7. I added the local JBoss AS to the JBoss Tools "Servers" view in Eclipse. Even though the line
{code}#JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,address=8787,server=y,suspend=n"{code}
is commented in my [JBoss home]/bin/standalone.conf file, I can just hit the "Start the server in debug mode" button in my Servers view in Eclipse, and debugging will just start right away.

Now I have added a remote server that I can access through SSH to the servers list in the Servers view. I can deploy my application to the remote JBoss by dragging it to the server in the Servers view and start it through the "Start the server" button, just like with my local JBoss installation. Only the "start the server in debug mode" button is disabled for the remote server, and I have no clue why. I uncommented the line
{code}JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,address=8787,server=y,suspend=n"{code}
in the remote server's [JBoss home]/bin/standalone.conf file, but this didn't help.

 https://community.jboss.org/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-766661-19741/localjboss.png  https://community.jboss.org/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-766661-19741/310-98/localjboss.png   https://community.jboss.org/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-766661-19743/remotejboss.png  https://community.jboss.org/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-766661-19743/310-100/remotejboss.png

Is it even possible to debug via SSH? Is there a different secure way for remote debugging that I can try?

[https://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2128]