[jboss-user] [JBoss Tools] - Re: JBoss tools JSF development - extending VPE (for MBean property)

Viacheslav Kabanovich do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Oct 19 13:53:07 EDT 2012

Viacheslav Kabanovich [https://community.jboss.org/people/scabanovich] created the discussion

"Re: JBoss tools JSF development - extending VPE (for MBean property)"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/767157#767157

Suggesting preferences, I meant only the drop of bean attributes from Web Projects view, that is, objects well known for JBoss Tools. Preference could map Java type of bean attribute to {tag library uri + tag name + attribute name to put EL in}, or even to a snippet where user will specify all sub components. Then the drop would be processed in the same way as it is for a Palette item, with the only difference that a specified attribute will be prefilled by EL. Maybe for common Java types like String this functionality will not be of greate advantage, but for specific cases like List<Person> user might find quite helpful to have a nice snippet and apply it with one mouse drop.

There is now no extension point for registering new implementation of IDropCommand. We can readily add such a point, but I think we may allow to bind it only with a new transfer data type to prevent it from conflicting with existing IDropCommand implementations. In this way, dnd from some new view may be supported. For currently supported transfer data types, we can provide extensions through the existing implementations. For example, for the drop of bean attributes from Web Projects view, PaletteDropCommand may request extensions if they have for a given bean attribute to provide a snippet (or choice of snippets) and/or wizard to customize it (then the above-mentioned usage of preferences is an example of implementation of that extension).

[https://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2128]