[jboss-user] [JBoss Remoting] - Re: SSL bisocket socketWrite0() hangs, while holding Messaging Post Office lock (on a network failure)

Ron Sigal do-not-reply at jboss.com
Sat Oct 27 23:36:39 EDT 2012

Ron Sigal [https://community.jboss.org/people/ron_sigal] created the discussion

"Re: SSL bisocket socketWrite0() hangs, while holding Messaging Post Office lock (on a network failure)"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/772666#772666

Hi Todd,

You've done you're homework.

As you see in JBREM-1307, there is a bug in Java's SSLSocket that can cause a deadlock, and the suggested workaround (I haven't tried it) is to turn on socket.check_connection.  As for your concerns about doing that:

  * results in an extra round-trip I/O (not good for a variety of reasons - throughput, remote clients with high latency connecitons, etc.).

This is true.

  * potential to hit other problems with check_connections enabled.   e.g. found this:  https://community.jboss.org/message/369442#369442 https://community.jboss.org/message/369442

Note that the problem in  https://community.jboss.org/message/369442#369442#369442 https://community.jboss.org/message/369442#369442 is based on a failure to set Remoting's socket timeout parameter.   I don't think it's really a deadlock.  The default client side timeout in Remoting is 30 minutes, so it just looks like a deadlock.  I'm not aware of any problems with the connect timeout.  If you're looking at the code, the connect timeout is enforced in org.jboss.remoting.transport.socket.SocketClientInvoker.connect().

Hope that helps.

-Ron

Start a new discussion in JBoss Remoting at Community
[https://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2050]