[jboss-user] [Performance Tuning] - Interesting JBoss 5 Memory Footprint/Leak

hangsu do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Sep 6 13:25:40 EDT 2012

hangsu [https://community.jboss.org/people/hangsu] created the discussion

"Interesting JBoss 5 Memory Footprint/Leak"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/758389#758389

Hi All,

I am having a rather interesting memory leak problem with JBoss5 recently.

So the heap size is 4G, and from profiling tool, JVM think it's managing 4G of memory.
I did couple memory dumps at different stage, it's also less than 4G.

Now the interesting thing is, if I check the memory in Linux, the JBoss JVM process is taking 97%+ RAM and increasing until OOM Killer jump in and kill the process. (We are on a VM with 8G RAM)

What make it more interesting is, we have -XX:AggressiveHeap in JAVA_OPTS, once I took that out and restart JBoss, everything is back to normal.

This make me believe it's some glitch in Java GC, that the Linux OS is unable to free RAM JVM trying to release. But I can't find anything related to this on google.

I can provide more information if needed. Some basic environment are:

OS: CentOS5 64bit
JAVA: Oracle JDK 1.6.0_31 64 bit

And just in case you wonder, why I post it here rather than JAVA forum, we have same product in JBoss4 and it was running fine, and I believe the migration code change is done correctly, and same product for another customer is running fine in JBoss5. I could compare the difference between the two versions, but as you can see from heap size, this is a monster product and code base are very different from release to release.

Has anyone see anything similar to this? any help or information would be appreciated.

Start a new discussion in Performance Tuning at Community
[https://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2078]