[jboss-user] [jBPM] - last_read_date update causing StaleObjectStateException

Richard Evans do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Sep 19 11:18:29 EDT 2012

Richard Evans [https://community.jboss.org/people/r3vans] created the discussion

"last_read_date update causing StaleObjectStateException"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/760399#760399

Hello there,

*jbpm 5.3.0.Final*

I have a server running jbpm happily on a couple of load-balanced hosts. All fine until I use a simple Web interface to view details of a running peocess. This UI calls kSession.getProcessInstance(id) to access process variables.  The server handling that process promptly gets a hibernate StaleObjectStateException. The immediate cause seems to be that getProcessInstance generates an update to process_instance_info.last_read_date. The server falls over when attempting update a process following an event.

What I am attempting to do seems reasonable - providing a readonly view to an in-flight process. Is there something flawed in my approach? If I removed the call to updateLastReadDate() in JPAProcessInstanceManager would there be any repercussions other than an inaccurate value in the field?

Thanks for any help.
Richard