[jboss-user] [JBoss Tools] - Future strategy for Tagging JBoss Tools core

Denis Golovin do-not-reply at jboss.com
Mon Feb 11 13:50:20 EST 2013

Denis Golovin [https://community.jboss.org/people/dgolovin] commented on the document

"Future strategy for Tagging JBoss Tools core"

To view all comments on this document, visit: https://community.jboss.org/docs/DOC-48351#comment-11555

Submodules can be used to track it. We need:
# repository with submodules that points to released jbosstools components
# in repository we can have jbosstools-${major}.${minor}.${patch}-${label}*x* branches for work in progress and jbosstools-${major}.${minor}.${patch}-${label} tags to mark releases

Here what I use to track all jbosstools repositories  https://github.com/dgolovin/jbosstools-fork-submodules https://github.com/dgolovin/jbosstools-fork-submodules. It let me do several things without writing additional scripts:
1. I can sync my forks with upstream repositories
2. I can build any version of jbosstools ( considering we have the same  branches tags for components )
3. I can create new branch/tag in every submodule

all above without additional scripts, it just:

*git submodule foreach 'git ${submodule command}'*

It might have some problems to handle branches when they include different set of submodules, because git checkout would not remove submodule that is missing in target branch.