[jboss-user] [Beginner's Corner] - Java EE Application Structure for 'always on' data gathering

Matthew Bellinger do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Jan 8 12:30:23 EST 2013

Matthew Bellinger [https://community.jboss.org/people/mbelling] created the discussion

"Java EE Application Structure for 'always on' data gathering"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/789347#789347

One of the projects I am working on will be receiving data from an external source, and constantly processing that data.  The plan is to build on top of Java EE/JBoss that application, and an application for accessing the information that is generated from that external data. From the information I have found so far on Java EE seems to be a 'trigger/transaction based' approach, where either a client connection, or specific message would drive processing in a Java EE application.

Is there a standard Java EE way to have an 'always on' process that gathers data?  Or is this something I would develop outside Java EE and just have my Java EE App connect to it when someone needs data from it?  Is there any documentation on this sort of approach?

Thanks,
~Matt

[https://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2075]