[jboss-user] [jBPM] - jbpm 5.4.0 - NullPointerException completing workItem when using Spring local transactions and shared entity manager.

J Xmith do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Jan 9 22:38:28 EST 2013

J Xmith [https://community.jboss.org/people/xmithj] created the discussion

"jbpm 5.4.0 - NullPointerException completing workItem when using Spring local transactions and shared entity manager."

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/789975#789975

I decided to give it a try to Spring local transactions and shared entity manager, so I changed my configuration as per user guide v5.4.
I tested with a fairly simple business process with an asynchronous workItem that get completed after certain amount of time by a different thread.
Everything went well until the scheduled timer tried to complete the workItem by calling:

     ksession.getWorkItemManager().completeWorkItem(workItemId, resultMap);

By executing this line, I am getting this exception:

2013-01-10 15:13:46,234 ERROR  [Timer-0] SingleSessionCommandService M[rollbackTransaction] --> Could not commit session
java.lang.NullPointerException
    at org.jbpm.workflow.instance.node.WorkItemNodeInstance.workItemCompleted(WorkItemNodeInstance.java:306)
    at org.jbpm.workflow.instance.node.WorkItemNodeInstance.signalEvent(WorkItemNodeInstance.java:285)
    at org.jbpm.workflow.instance.impl.WorkflowProcessInstanceImpl.signalEvent(WorkflowProcessInstanceImpl.java:342)
    at org.drools.persistence.jpa.processinstance.JPAWorkItemManager.completeWorkItem(JPAWorkItemManager.java:121)
    at org.drools.command.runtime.process.CompleteWorkItemCommand.execute(CompleteWorkItemCommand.java:69)
    at org.drools.command.runtime.process.CompleteWorkItemCommand.execute(CompleteWorkItemCommand.java:32)
    at org.drools.command.impl.DefaultCommandService.execute(DefaultCommandService.java:36)
    at org.drools.persistence.SingleSessionCommandService.execute(SingleSessionCommandService.java:373)
    at org.drools.command.impl.CommandBasedStatefulKnowledgeSession$1.completeWorkItem(CommandBasedStatefulKnowledgeSession.java:150)

The passed workItemId is correct (the expected one).
The same test runs successfully when configuring for JTA transaction management. Should I create a Jira issue for this?

Regards,
John