[jboss-user] [jBPM] - Is jBPM the right tool for what I'm trying to achieve?

Egor Kolesnikov do-not-reply at jboss.com
Sat Jul 6 08:04:15 EDT 2013

Egor Kolesnikov [https://community.jboss.org/people/eskape] created the discussion

"Is jBPM the right tool for what I'm trying to achieve?"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/826702#826702

Hi everyone,

I've been researching jBPM in on-again-off-again mode since, well, pre-v3 times, circa 2005. Every time it happened to be "not quite what I need", or there was a feature promised "in a future release" and I usually moved on to something else - usually some simple homebrew workflow solutions that nevertheless did their job fine.
Now that it's 2013 and jBPM is at 5.4.0, I kinda started thinking that I may not understand the very purpose of it.

If we take on something as simple as bug tracking or ticketing system - there are tons of possible configurable workflows that just scream "use jBPM dammit!"
Let's start with email confirmation after registration: Start -> call "registration email" service -> human task (wait for email link to be clicked) -> call "confirm registration" service -> End. Loops for "re-send confirmation mail" are optional.

Now after I've added maven dependencies for jbpm-bpmn2 and jbpm-human-task-core, there are already TONS of transi