[jboss-user] [jBPM] - jBPM designer present and future

Guillermo L do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Jun 7 09:17:38 EDT 2013

Guillermo L [https://community.jboss.org/people/gmlopezdev] created the discussion

"jBPM designer present and future"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/821964#821964

I've been trying to use jBPM and it is my belief that there's no engine without a designer. I've first tried to use the eclipse plugin for indigo release (SOA tools) and had several issues so I moved to the web designer which it appears to be the recommended way as per some post, articles, etc.

The designer (v2.4) boundled with guvnor and jBPM installer (v5.4) has several issues right from the start. The first issue I've found out, was that after designing a very simple process and tried to execute it, I got an exception because the designer didn't set the "y" position of some elements.

Currently there is no other published version of the web designer nor eclipse plugin and even I tried with other tools, at some point they do not quite integrate with jBPM finding myself after some time editing the BPMN2 tags which it is driving me crazy .

I've seen that there is a 2.5 branch for the designer which I'm downloading and I´ll try to build it and deploy it to evaluate it.

Is there anyone who can tell me whether 2.5 branch is really stable, and share experiences with either v2.4 or v2.5?

What about the v6 currently under development? Will this designer be compatible with previous jBPM engine (i.e. v5.4)?

The engine looks great, do not get me wrong, however I'm not quite sure/afraid about the maturity of v5.4 ecosystem (engine, repository, designer) and looking forward how is this going to scale and backward compatibility of new releases of the designer.

I'll appreciate the feedback you may provide in order to clarify all this uncertainty I have.

Thanks!