[jboss-user] [JBoss Remoting] - Re: Newbie: JBoss Remoting Multiplex to solve multiple client connections through a firewall

Ron Sigal do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Jun 20 20:52:46 EDT 2013

Ron Sigal [https://community.jboss.org/people/ron_sigal] created the discussion

"Re: Newbie: JBoss Remoting Multiplex to solve multiple client connections through a firewall"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/824209#824209

Hi Paul,

I wrote the multiplex transport around 2006 and haven't looked at it much since then.  It's certainly no longer supported.

That said, multiplex was designed to make it possible for a server to communicate asynchronously with a client without creating a ServerSocket on the client, to avoid firewall problems.  If you use the virtual sockets and ServerSockets in multiplex, you might be able to do what you want.

I should add that the performance of a virtual connection, IIRC, was about 50% of the performance of a real socket connection.

If you want to read the docs and have questions, I might be able to help.  Can't promise, though.

As long as you're thinking of an intermediate layer, why not put a single (real) ServerSocket on the client side of the firewall and distribute the messages from there to the clients?

Good luck.

-Ron

Start a new discussion in JBoss Remoting at Community
[https://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2050]