[jboss-user] [JBoss Cache] - Re: Caching in web application

schmyrczyk do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu May 2 15:21:11 EDT 2013

schmyrczyk [https://community.jboss.org/people/schmyrczyk] created the discussion

"Re: Caching in web application"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/811308#811308

Hey,
at first you should gather some information about the topic cache itself.
There is a good explanation at wikipedia ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cache_(computing) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cache_(computing)).

I am not familiar with CouchBase. But since it provides key-value based access it sounds like a mix of a cache and a database.
Most java cache implementations are key-value-based. So you can access them like a map.
Here is an example how to access a infispan cache instance (Source:  https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/ISPN/Getting+Started+Guide#GettingStartedGuide-5minutetutorial https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/ISPN/Getting+Started+Guide#GettingStartedGuide-5minutetutorial):

38.       // Add a entry
39.       cache.put("key", "value");
40.       // Validate the entry is now in the cache
41.       assertEqual(1, cache.size());
42.       assertTrue(cache.containsKey("key"));
43.       // Remove the entry from the cache
44.       Object v = cache.remove("key");
45.       // Validate the entry is no longer in the cache
46.       assertEqual("value", v);

In the past I have also worked with EHCache and JBoss Cache. They are used in a similar way like Infinispan. I have also to mention that there is no "best" cache. You have to evaluate some cache implementations for you project because it depends on a lot of factors like access speed, clustering capabilities, caching algorithms, etc.

For further information you could look up the following websites:
 http://www.coderanch.com/how-to/java/CachingStrategies http://www.coderanch.com/how-to/java/CachingStrategies
 http://infinispan.blogspot.co.uk/2010/02/infinispan-as-local-cache.html http://infinispan.blogspot.co.uk/2010/02/infinispan-as-local-cache.html

But do not forget evaluate your desired cache in order to get the best results for your application.

Regards,
Lukas

Start a new discussion in JBoss Cache at Community
[https://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2052]