[jboss-user] [Beginner's Corner] - Init script of jboss 4.2.3 GA - jdk6 for Debian 7

Mikel Vadillo do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu May 30 23:33:25 EDT 2013

Mikel Vadillo [https://community.jboss.org/people/mikelvadillo] created the discussion

"Init script of jboss 4.2.3 GA - jdk6 for Debian 7"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/820557#820557

Hi all, ultra noob mega newbie here.

I'm an student of Informatics Ingeniering in the university of Basque Country, Spain.

For my last year project i'm trying to make work a server with OpenACS ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/openacs/ http://sourceforge.net/projects/openacs/) in a Debian 7 distribution with many routers. This opensource web service goes over Jboss (author recomends 4.2.x versions) and at least i have managed to configure almost all. I'm glad because is my first contact with this and it is very interesting.

My only problem is to use a good init script to use with Debian 7. I have composed one, using several i have found over internet and mixing them. Finally it works, it seems to my noob eyes, fine. This is the script:

| #!/bin/sh
### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides: jboss
# Required-Start: $local_fs $remote_fs $network $syslog
# Required-Stop: $local_fs $remote_fs $network $syslog
# Default-Start: 2 3 4 5
# Default-Stop: 0 1 6
# Short-Description: Start/Stop JBoss AS v7.0.0
### END INIT INFO

JBOSS_HOME=/opt/jboss

JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-openjdk-i386

#JBOSS_BIND_ADDR="-b 192.168.1.205"

#configuration to use, usually one of 'minimal', 'default', 'all'
#JBOSS_CONF=${JBOSS_CONF:-"default"}

export JAVA_HOME
export JBOSS_HOME

EXEC=${JBOSS_HOME}/bin/run.sh
#JBOSSSH=${JBOSSSH:-"$JBOSS_HOME/bin/run.sh -b 192.168.1.205"}
#define the script to use to start jboss
#JBOSSSH=${JBOSSSH:-"$JBOSS_HOME/bin/run.sh -c $JBOSS_CONF"}

do_start(){
        start-stop-daemon --start --chuid jboss --user jboss --name jboss -b --exec ${EXEC}
    }

do_stop(){
        start-stop-daemon --stop -u jboss
        rm -f ${PIDFILE}
}

case "$1" in
    start)
        echo "Starting JBoss 4.2.3"
    do_start
    ;;
    stop)
        echo "Stopping JBoss 4.2.3"
    do_stop
    ;;
    restart)
    echo "Restarting JBoss 4.2.3"
    do_stop
    sleep 20
    do_start
    ;;
    *)
        echo "Usage: /etc/init.d/jboss4.2.3 {start|stop|restart}"
        exit 1
    ;;
esac |

My problem is the ip binding. Untill now i have been starting Jboss through console using:

cd /opt/jboss/bin
./run.sh -b 192.168.1.205

but now what i get with this script is the web only working in localhost as URL.

I have read many articles in the internet about this but i can't make it work. As you can see in the script, there are several tryes i have done in commented lines but none of them have worked well.

I have even tryed to add this two things (not at the same time) in the /opt/jboss/bin/run.conf file:

-Dbind.address=192.168.1.205
-Djgroups.bind_addr=192.168.1.205

But it's not worth it.

Any ideas?

Perhaps, due to my poor english, you should have questions about what i have done or how bad i have explained it....feel free to ask.

Thanks in advance.

[https://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2075]