[jbosscache-dev] JBCACHE-867

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at jboss.com
Mon Nov 27 12:02:30 EST 2006

jbosscache-dev-bounces at lists.jboss.org wrote:
> .... this is a method that could well live in Node as it does
> right now, leaving space for other things in the Cache interface.

(Galder, my apologies in advance for deliberately misinterpreting your
post; the above phrasing gave me a chance to say something that's been
bugging me for a while...)

I hope we can not have any concept of "available space" in the API.  The
API should expose what it needs to expose for users to have the intended
functionality as cleanly as possible.  If that means an interface has
100 methods, so be it.  A really large interface may be a sign that
refactoring needs to be done or the intended functionality is too broad
or whatever, but if in the end the methods are required to do the job,
then they should go in and should be located where they make the most
sense.

The problem with the old TreeCache API wasn't so much the number of
methods as it was the fact that 1) there was no public Interface
separate from the internal-use-only public methods and 2) cache
configuration wasn't cleanly separated from cache operation.

OK, that's off my chest; climbing down from soapbox now... ;)