[jbosscache-dev] Optimising node storage in memory

Elias Ross generic_elias at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 2 13:22:48 EST 2007

--- Manik Surtani <manik at jboss.org> wrote:

> Guys,
>
> Playing around with looking at how efficient (or not) it is to store
> nodes as children of other nodes.  While this makes logical sense, on
> an implementation level walking the tree sucks - O(n) where n is the
> depth of the tree.  This works great for small trees, but as depth
> increases, so does the lookup time.

I spent some time looking at storage issues for maintaining carrier
information on phone numbers.  We could only identify the possible use of
depth 3 (country code, area code, number).

Even classifying every species on the planet only really requires eight
levels.

The reason you don't need too many depths (usually) is that with 10 children
at each level, the number of nodes you would create with a depth of 10 is
10^10, or 1,000,000,000 leaf nodes, with about half as many intermediate
nodes.

And if you kept a map of FQN -> NODE, you still need to maintain some
structure to enumerate all the children.

One thing that would be nice (and falls under the subject of the thread)
would be to optimize the size of common cache objects.  Being able to cache
more is very important.

Check out the SizeOf program:

class java.util.concurrent.ConcurrentHashMap: 1271
class java.util.HashMap: 119
class org.jboss.cache.UnversionedNode: 159 (no children)
class org.jboss.cache.UnversionedNode: 1682 (when children() called)
class org.jboss.cache.UnversionedNode: 39 (no "new HashMap()")

ConcurrentHashMap is faster, but uses about 10 times more memory...