[jbosscache-dev] RE: Inputs on aopc

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at jboss.com
Fri Feb 2 17:58:40 EST 2007

Kabir Khan wrote:
>> <snip>

>>> A folder to the annotated classes
>>
>> How is that different from src or classpath?
>
> By default we do not browse for annotations (it is
> time-consuming to look inside every file), so if you have
> annotations you want parsed you need to specify them.

OK, that makes sense. When I reread the doc and actually followed the
link to the "Annotation Bindings" chapter I figured that was it. ;) But
this is confusing:

"aopclasspath - This should mirror your class path and contain all
JARs/directories..."

The "mirror class path" thing threw me off, as to me "mirror" implies
"duplicate".  Perhaps

"aopclasspath -- A subset of the JARs/directories in classpath or
classpathref that includes all JARs/directories that may have annotated
aspects (See Chapter "Annotation Bindings"). The AOPC compiler will
browse each class file in this path to determine if any of them are
annotated with @Aspect. Browsing for annotations is time consuming, so
only classes in the JARs/directories listed in aopclasspath will be
scanned."

The next sentence "This gets used for the jboss.aop.class.path optional
system property which is described in the "Command Line" section." is
really confusing. Is it necessary? (No need to reply to that question.
Or to any of this :) )

> btw src, (which I agree is craply named, but created before
> my time) specifies the files that you want to transform -
> there may be a LOT of other things on the classpath which you do not
> want to transform...

Yeah, it's pretty clear what it is and how to use it (other than the
docs should say "A directory containing class files to be transformed",
not just "containing files".  There's just a mental disconnect because
of the name that I expect affects people looking at the PojoCache
examples.

> IIRC you can specify multiple src entries, but I agree using
> includes would be nicer

Yep, you can have multiple src entries. You've got includes as well;
it's just that for some reason they are at the same level as src rather
than being nested.

Brian Stansberry
Lead, AS Clustering
JBoss, a division of Red Hat