[jbosscache-dev] Jarring jars

Galder Zamarreno galder.zamarreno at redhat.com
Fri Feb 9 07:06:47 EST 2007

I like the idea, but messaging did a similar thing with their
jboss-messaging-client.jar and customers wondered how to upgrade things
like log4j.jar.

Do we want to to provide both unpacked and packed jars? We need unpacked
one for upgrading purpouses.

Another option instead of packing JARs would be to provide different
library folders for different environments:
- Standalone Java 5
- Standalone Java 1.4
- AS 4.0.x Java 5
- AS 4.0.x Java 1.4
- AS 5.0 Java 5
- Websphere Java 1.4

This would have the benefit of telling customers what libraries they
need for each situation providing good orientation to the customers. You
could say that a 1.4.x release should not run in JBoss 5.0 and so, we do
not provide a directory for "AS 5.0 Java 5"

Customers always gonna have to compare the libraries in target
environments with the ones in the JBossCache distro in case anything
else apart from JBossCache needs upgrading.

Thoughts?

Manik Surtani wrote:
> The list of jars JBoss Cache ships with is growing.  And this is, as you
> can imagine, a PITA.
>
> * Core libs - commons-logging, jgroups, concurrent (needed by JGroups <
> 2.5), jboss-serialization, jboss-common-core
> * Pojocache libs - trove, jboss-aop, javassist, microcontainer jars (4
> jars here!!)
> * JDK1.4-compat distro: 4 extra jars here
> * Optional jars: c3p0 (DB connection pooling for standalone use), bdbje
> and jdbm for specific cache loaders.
>
> Looking at how Bill's packaged libs up for embedded EJB, he's got an ant
> task that jars up all the jars into a single file.
>
> <jar jarfile="UberJar.jar">
>     <zipfileset file="jar1.jar" />
>     <zipfileset file="jar2.jar" />
> </jar>
>
> What do you think?  This way the JBoss Cache distro can ship with a
> minimal number of jars:
>
> * Core: jboss-cache.jar, jboss-cache-deps.jar
> * PojoCache: jboss-cache.jar, jboss-cache-deps.jar, pojo-cache-deps.jar
> * JDK1.4-compat: jboss-cache.jar, jboss-cache-deps-JDK14.jar
> * Optional jars
>
> What do you guys think of this approach?  It may mean a replication of
> jars (you may already have commons-logging or jboss-serialization in
> your libs) but these jars are small and not a huge impact on size.  What
> about wanting to swap out jars, e.g., JGroups?
>
> Thoughts?

> Email: manik at jboss.org
> Telephone: +44 7786 702 706
> MSN: manik at surtani.org