[jbosscache-dev] Test fwk for JBoss Cache

Scott Marlow scott.marlow.opensource at gmail.com
Sat Feb 17 11:50:56 EST 2007

Manik Surtani wrote:
> Guys,
>
> This is about moving off JUnit 3.x in future versions of JBoss Cache
> (>= 2.1.0).  Bela mentioned wanting to do something similar for
> JGroups as well - may be a good idea to move in the same direction.  :-)
>
> The question is:  JUnit 4 or TestNG?  Has anyone got options on
> these?  From what I understand (and don't forget I've not used TestNG
> much)
>
> JUnit 4:
> + easy migration
> + good IDE support
> - no support for 'threaded tests'
>
> TestNG:
> + Concurrent testing (being able to specify threads and loops via
> annotations on a per-test basis)
>
> Anyone else have any other thoughts or opinions?
Its not a requirement but I would like to see more support for
performance metric unit tests.  I coded some small performance tests for
pojo collections but never checked them in as I could only visually
verify if performance was good or not based on logged performance
measurements.  I'm not sure how this would really work in a unit test
but if someone smarter has figured it out, it would be nice to use.  :)

This would catch problems that you normally don't see unless running
under load.  Anyone know if the TestNG concurrent testing supports help
in this area?