[jbosscache-dev] is embedded jboss relevant to us?

Manik Surtani manik at jboss.org
Mon Feb 26 08:25:34 EST 2007

It is something useful and something I will consider for 2.1.

The main features of 2.1 will be an internal architectural
refactoring, including:

1)  Replacement of hand-wired interceptors with JBoss AOP (removes
boiler plate code that we've written to support an AOP-like
structure).  Will also allow proper interception to Nodes rather than
these calls being mapped through the CacheImpl.
2)  Inclusion of the microcontainer (allows proper dependency
injection for pluggable subsystems like cache loaders, transaction
managers, etc., and implicit JBoss AOP bindings.  Also, the
configuration file can then be based on the MC as well, allowing easy
customisation of subsystems or adding custom aspects)

The above two will get rid of a lot of ancillary support structure
code, leaving the code base a lot leaner and more focused.  As a part
of this, I also want to overhaul the test suite - how tests are run,
what is checked, etc.  Vlad's parameterisation of JGroups stacks is a
good start, but I'd like to see the following parameterised:

1) JGroups stack (tcp/udp/mux) (only for tests annotated as replicated)
2) Cache loader (only for tests annotated as CL-dependent)
3) TM (only for tests annotated as TM-dependent)

Using the MC's test harness (perhaps with TestNG?  Need to research
this) there is a lot of flexibility that can be obtained here, to
give us proper test coverage.  Still needs a lot more thought, but
this is an early glimpse into what I have in mind for 2.1.