[jbosscache-dev] ClusteredCacheLoader deadlocks and JBCCACHE-1103

Jason T. Greene jason.greene at redhat.com
Fri Jun 15 07:47:23 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-06-14 at 11:23 +0200, Bela Ban wrote:
-snip-
> No, that's a bad solution because the design of a flow control protocol
> should not be influenced by an application level workaround. In
> addition, if you have 500 threads, all timing out at the same time, you
> will have a steady flow of messages, defeating the purpose of flow
> control in the first place.

The suggestion is to abort the message on such a timeout, not allow it
to be sent, which would still be good flow control.

> On top of that, we *cannot* do that because if we run on top of TCP, a
> write() might block anyway if the TCP receiver set the sliding window to
> 0 ! So the sending of data on top of TCP will block (similar to FC) when
> TCP throttles the sender.

Yes its a shame that Java doesn't set SNDTIMEO for OS's that support,
although even though this can happen, it shouldnt be common, and it
should be only temporary.

-Jason

--
Jason T. Greene