[jbosscache-dev] migrating data stored in 1.x format to VAM format

Galder Zamarreno galder.zamarreno at redhat.com
Mon Mar 5 06:28:34 EST 2007

Manik Surtani wrote:

> Yes, this makes sense, provided:
>
> 1)  These "utilities" are in a separate package and perhaps even a
> separate jar?  o.j.c.loader.migration.*?

+1 on different package and different jar.

> 2)  Even JDBCCacheLoaderOld (should be renamed to LegacyJDBCCacheLoader
> or something?  Mircea?) should be in this "migration" package.  I don't
> see anyone using it on an ongoing basis.

+1

> WDYT?
>
> Cheers,
> Manik

Remaining work on this would be packaging and location of stuff. This is
the kind of structure I have in mind right now:

[JBC-SOURCE-ROOT]
   + migration
     + src
       + o.j.c.migration.TransformingJDBCCacheLoader
       + o.j.c.migration.TransformingFileCacheLoader
       + o.j.c.migration.LegacyJDBCCacheLoader (JDBCCacheLoaderOld)
     + lib
       + jboss-minimal.jar (from 1.4.x)
     + tests (UT)
       + o.j.c.migration.TransformingCacheLoaderTestBase
       + o.j.c.migration.TransformingFileCacheLoaderTest
       + o.j.c.migration.TransformingJDBCCacheLoaderTest
     + output
       // compilation of src and tests
     + dist
       // jarjar jboss-minimal.jar and include 3 source files compiled?
     + examples
       + cacheloader-migration
         + data
           + filecacheloader-1x.zip
           + jbossdb-1x.zip
         + resources
           + original-fcl-service.xml (sample original FCL XML)
           + original-jdbccl-service.xml (sample original JDBCCL XML)
           + transform-fcl-service.xml (mod of original to transform)
           + transform-jdbccl-service.xml (mod of original to transform)
         + src
           + examples.TransformStore
             // starts a cache with transform*.xml, loops through it and
             // writes back into cache. It then stops this cache instance
             // and starts a new one with original*.xml and tries to read
             // all nodes in the cache.
             // NOTE: TransformStore would javadoc instructions to get
             // examples running, for example, where to unzip data
             // to,...etc}

We could add a task to build.xml to run the migration unit tests.
Another task would create a dist jar potentially jarjaring
jboss-minimal.jar and 3 migration compiled classes? what name should we
give to this jar?

Please, feel free to comment on naming, the structure above...etc :)

Apart from this, I'd have to add some documentation too.

--
Galder Zamarreño
Sr. Software Maintenance Engineer