[jbosscache-dev] migrating data stored in 1.x format to VAM format

Galder Zamarreno galder.zamarreno at redhat.com
Mon Mar 5 07:06:39 EST 2007

Manik Surtani wrote:

> On 5 Mar 2007, at 11:28, Galder Zamarreno wrote:
>

>> Remaining work on this would be packaging and location of stuff. This
>> is the kind of structure I have in mind right now:
>>
>> [JBC-SOURCE-ROOT]
>>   + migration
>>     + src
>>       + o.j.c.migration.TransformingJDBCCacheLoader
>>       + o.j.c.migration.TransformingFileCacheLoader
>>       + o.j.c.migration.LegacyJDBCCacheLoader (JDBCCacheLoaderOld)
>>     + lib
>>       + jboss-minimal.jar (from 1.4.x)
>>     + tests (UT)
>>       + o.j.c.migration.TransformingCacheLoaderTestBase
>>       + o.j.c.migration.TransformingFileCacheLoaderTest
>>       + o.j.c.migration.TransformingJDBCCacheLoaderTest
>>     + output
>>       // compilation of src and tests
>>     + dist
>>       // jarjar jboss-minimal.jar and include 3 source files compiled?
>>     + examples
>>       + cacheloader-migration
>>         + data
>>           + filecacheloader-1x.zip
>>           + jbossdb-1x.zip
>>         + resources
>>           + original-fcl-service.xml (sample original FCL XML)
>>           + original-jdbccl-service.xml (sample original JDBCCL XML)
>>           + transform-fcl-service.xml (mod of original to transform)
>>           + transform-jdbccl-service.xml (mod of original to transform)
>>         + src
>>           + examples.TransformStore
>>             // starts a cache with transform*.xml, loops through it and
>>             // writes back into cache. It then stops this cache instance
>>             // and starts a new one with original*.xml and tries to read
>>             // all nodes in the cache.
>>             // NOTE: TransformStore would javadoc instructions to get
>>             // examples running, for example, where to unzip data
>>             // to,...etc}
>>
>> We could add a task to build.xml to run the migration unit tests.
>> Another task would create a dist jar potentially jarjaring
>> jboss-minimal.jar and 3 migration compiled classes? what name should
>> we give to this jar?
>>

> cacheloader-migration.jar?

+1

>> Please, feel free to comment on naming, the structure above...etc :)
>>

> Not too  happy with a "migration" directory in the root.  But then
> again, I can't think of a better place for this.  Ideally, we would have
> src/main/ and src/migration/ and src/whatever-else  but I don't want to
> move all that around too much now.

I like the idea of having src/main, src/migration, but I guess you'd
need to apply the same to output,dist..etc, i.e. output/main,
output/migration...etc. It'd certainly require more changes that my
original plan but maybe something we can do for 2.1/2.2?

So, for the mo, i'll stick to migration root dir.

>> Apart from this, I'd have to add some documentation too.
>
> In the CacheLoader chapterof the UserGuide as well as the FAQs, yes.
> The FAQ could just point to the migration section in the CacheLoader
> chapter of the UserGuide...

+1. Note that I won't be explaining the example in detail in the UG but
pointing to the javadoc of the TransformStore to find detailed explanation.

--
Galder Zamarreño
Sr. Software Maintenance Engineer