[jbosscache-dev] JBossCache 2.0 Beta2 test code coverage analysis

Hany Mesha hmesha at novell.com
Fri Mar 16 18:41:53 EDT 2007

Hi all,

I have run clover once again. This time against the head branch. I did
2 data points. One was against right before 2.0 Beta1 and the newer one
was done yesterday just before 2.0 Beta2. I used the ant target in the
build all-functionaltests to instrument and capture the code. The first
data point was done on the test suite where the second data point was
performed on the test suite and the source code to be able to see how
much of the source code is actually exercised by the test suite. The
first data point resulted in 91.8% code coverage where as the second
data point resulted in 79.4%.

I also did a gap analysis on the second data point to identify what
test cases and what source files need to be exercised better to improve
the overall coverage. I'm targeting a jump from 79.4 to 90 % before
2.0GA.

I invite you to  take a look at the following 2  wiki pages for both
data points and see what classes and test cases need to provide more
coverage:
Data point 1 (pre beta1) :
http://wiki.jboss.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=JBossCacheHeadCodeCoverageAnalysis
Data Point 2 (pre beta2) :
http://wiki.jboss.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=JBossCache20Beta2CodeCoverageAnalysis

On the wiki pages, you'll see the log of my command line test run
(worth noting that I had 14 test cases reported one or more failure or
error). Also, you'll only see the overall summary graph presented. If
you'd like to see the graph details, you can download the detailed HTML
report attached to the wiki page (*_html.zip) and unzip to drill down to
a line level of the test cases or classes.

Finally, I have worked a nice ant build targets for clover that I'd
like to add to the build script if everyone is OK with that. Those build
targets provide clover instrumentation and various reporting formats.
They require adding clover.jar and clover.license to ant-dist directory.
If you don't prefer adding the files for legal reason, I can just add
the targets and they're manual targets anyway and should not interfere
with the automated build but they will be there for future data coverage
reporting.

Please let me know you comments and thoughts.

Cheers,

Hany

Hany M. Mesha
Sr. Software Engineer, Consultant